This week: Tim Cook strikes back! Ricky Gervais tore Apple a new one live at the Golden Globes, but TC always gets the last laugh... we discuss.
Plus: we round up the coolest, weirdest, and whackiest gadgets announced at the 2020 Consumer Electronics show.
This episode supported by
Our thanks to Linked In for supporting this episode. A business is only as strong as its people, and every hire matters… head to LinkedIn.com/cultcast and get a $50 credit toward your first job post.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your iPhone 11, Apple Watch, Mac Pro and iPad sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CleanCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
On the show this week
@erfon / @lkahney / @mistercharlie
This week's stories
Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais: Apple ‘runs sweatshops in China’
- * Apple’s first night at the Golden Globes didn’t go exactly as Tim Cook may have hoped — with none of the nominations for Apple TV+ show The Morning Show resulting in award wins. Adding insult to injury, returning host Ricky Gervais quipped that Apple used sweatshops to make its products. And even drew parallels to terrorist group ISIS.
Why Samsung will probably get away with ‘borrowing’ Face ID icon
- * Eagle-eyed viewers spotted something oddly familiar during Samsung’s CES keynote Monday. On a slide regarding Samsung Pass, its new biometric “identity management as-a-service” product, Samsung included a logo that looks (to be polite) “borrowed” from Apple’s Face ID.
Crock-Pot's latest slow cooker comes with Alexa voice control
- * Belkin has quietly unveiled a 6 quart Crock-Pot slow cooker with a new twist: you can control it with Amazon Alexa.
Segway’s S-Pod looks weird, but it’s a lot of fun to drive
- * Segway’s newest self-balancing vehicle is a strange egg-shaped S-Pod wheelchair.
PiBo is a robotic companion for single people
- * It can get lonely living on your own, especially when you've got a landlord that doesn't allow pets or roommates. That’s where PIBO comes in, a cute robotic companion robot from Korean developer, Circulus
Don’t worry: Impossible Foods is already working on fake bacon
- * Impossible Foods CEO Pat Brown has revealed that his company is working on a plant-based version of bacon.
Direct download: CultCast_422.mp3
-- posted at: 11:20pm PDT