This week: Apple's internal sting operation just nabbed them one of Twitter's most prolific leakers — but how'd they do it? Plus: our reactions and details on Final Cut Pro and Logic for iPad, and a new startup staffed with a stable of Apple's top ex-employees showcases a new gadget they say is BETTER than the iPhone.
This episode supported by
With top-tier build quality, range up to 42 miles, and speeds up to 28 mph, the Lectric XP 3.0 is one of the best values in e-bikes. Check out the XP 3.0 and Lectric’s other great bikes at lectricebikes.com.
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your Mac Studio, Studio Display, iPhone 14, glasses and lenses sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CarryCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
This week's stories
Apple busts major iOS 17 leaker with spycraft ‘canary trap’
- The tipster who went by analyst941 leaked a large number of details about iOS 17, but his or her inside source apparently was caught by Apple in a sting operation. The source has reportedly been fired, and both they and the tipster could face legal action by the iPhone-maker.
Apple unveils Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro for iPad
- With Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro becoming available for Apple’s tablets, “music and video creators can now unleash their creativity in new ways that are only possible on iPad,” Apple said.
iPhone users want pro camera mode from Final Cut Pro for iPad
- The iPad version of Final Cut Pro that Apple recently unveiled includes a “pro camera mode” with a number of manual settings not included in the standard camera application. iPhone users saw this and quickly started calling for these features to be brought over to iOS, too.
Enter to win a stylish MacBook case from SwitchEasy [Cult of Mac giveaway]
- Two lucky winners will bag a SwitchEasy Urban MacBook Sleeve. Made of water-resistant threaded polyester material, these laptop cases will protect a MacBook from scuffs and scrapes. And they look good while doing so!
Apple brings in robust iPhone revenue but Mac and iPad are down
- During the first three months of 2023, Apple’s total revenue dropped 3% year over year. iPhone was a bright spot, but revenue from virtually all of the company’s other product segments saw annual declines. CEO Tim Cook blamed the drop on a “challenging macroeconomic environment.”
Why Humane’s screenless AI gadget will not replace your iPhone
- Humane, the hot Silicon Valley startup that’s been drumming up interest in its secretive product recently, finally showed the world what its A-list talent has been working on.
Direct download: 594.mp3
-- posted at: 11:10pm PDT