This week: iPhone 7 gets a new 3D Touch home button and a September 9th launch date! Plus: why we may be only weeks away from Apple’s Macbook Pro and Apple Watch 2 launch event; the big gun is back—Apple puts Big Bob Mansfield at the helm of their top secret Apple Car project; one of the internet’s best web series is now an Apple Music exclusive; and stick around for apps, man—we’ve got some sweet picks for you.
This episode supported by
TunnelBear, the simple privacy app that makes it easy to browse privately and enjoy a more open internet. Visit GetTunnelBear.com
to get your free TunnelBear today.
We also want to give Kevin MacLeod at incompetech.com
a thanks for the great music you hear on today's show.
James Cordon carpools with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and it’s magical
Apple just sold its billionth iPhone!
- One billion iPhone devices have officially been sold now since Steve Jobs unveiled the magical smartphone back in 2007, the company revealed today.
iPhone 7 pre-orders will reportedly open on September 9
- The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will reportedly be made available for pre-order on September 9, according to well-connected tipster Evan Blass.
- Keynote on Monday the 5th or Tuesday the 6th
iPhone 7 might not go by the name you’re expecting
- A new rumor coming out of China suggests that September’s next-gen iPhone won’t be called the iPhone 7 as expected, but rather the iPhone 6SE — continuing the naming scheme Apple introduced for its 4-inch iPhone SE earlier this year.
- so far it’s just a rumor citing Chinese supply chain sources.
- A separate report, meanwhile, suggests that it’s likely to debut on Friday, September 16. That’s just two months’ away…
- The slightly-earlier-than-usual launch date was “revealed” by tipster Evan Blass, who has a strong track record when it comes to this type of information.
iPhone 7 may get 3D Touch home button
- Apple allegedly plans to replace its physical home button on the iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6 SE) with a new 3D Touch button that won’t move when you press it, but well instead give users a haptic feedback to replicate the feeling of pressing a button, like on the Magic Trackpad 2.
- Macotakara claims to have heard from supply chain sources that the company will indeed include the feature on this year’s model, making it a bit more interesting than anticipated.
- The new home button design will supposedly be flush with the rest of the body, making the iPhone more waterproof than ever now that there are fewer paths for water to enter the device and destroy the internal components.
Surprise! Apple Watch 2 set to arrive this fall
- The long-awaited next version of the Apple Watch will supposedly be unveiled this fall
- Apple Watch 2’s big unveiling will happen in either September or October, claims DigiTimes
- Future Apple Watch updates are expected to add LTE data, GPS, longer battery life and faster performance.
Apple puts Bob Mansfield in driving seat for secret car project
- Bob Mansfield has been chosen to head up Apple’s “secret” electric car project three years after stepping down from his executive role, according to a new report.
- Mansfield first joined Apple in 1999 and retired in June 2012, but just two months later, it was confirmed that he was staying on to work on “future projects.” Mansfield was then named senior vice president of technologies in October 2012.
- Mansfield was previously in charge of Mac hardware at Apple and led development of products like the MacBook Air, iMac and iPad.
- Mansfield was previously making only occasional visits to Apple; however, employees recently noticed in the company directory that all senior managers working on the car project are now reporting directly to him.
- “Apple now has Mr. Mansfield running the company’s secret autonomous, electric-vehicle initiative, code-named Project Titan,” reports The Wall Street Journal, citing sources familiar with the matter.
‘Carpool Karaoke’ TV show will be an Apple Music exclusive
- James Corden’s popular ‘Carpool Karaeoke’ segment from The Late Late Show on CBS is set to become its own show later this year and you’ll only be able to watch in on Apple Music.
- The viral segment has been a breakout hit of 2016 thanks to appearances from the likes of Adele, Justin Bieber, Michelle Obama, Elton John and dozens of other stars who drive around Los Angeles singing popular songs.
Our Apps, Man picks
Buster - Photo pills
Erfon - Tinycards
Leander - Ultimate ears speakers and their companion apps