This week: You’ve heard of Samsung’s Galaxy Edge… but is an iPhone 8 Plus Edge on the way? Some respected analysts say yes. Plus: iPhone 7 Plus with dual lens was just spotted on the streets; iOS 9.3.5 fixes one of the most invasive iOS exploits to date; Tim Cook just made FAT STACKS of cash; and if the rumors prove true, Apple is working on a new social network… to take on Snap Chat. No, seriously.
This episode supported by
TunnelBear, the simple privacy app that makes it easy to browse privately and enjoy a more open internet. Visit GetTunnelBear.com
to get your free TunnelBear today.
And our thanks to Kevin MacLeod at incompetech.com
a for the great music you hear on today's show.
Drink it in, my friends
Galaxy Note 7 vs iPhone 6S Speed Test
Taiwanese superstar posts picture of himself using iPhone 7 Plus
- Taiwanese actor and singer Jimmy Lin has been photographed using what appears to be a new iPhone 7 Plus, complete with its rumored dual-lens camera and LED flash.
- Lin previously managed to get his hands on advance units of the iPhone 5 in 2012 and iPhone 6 in 2014 — both of which turned out to be the real deal.
Apple's 2017 Curved OLED iPhone to Be a New Premium Model
- Apple is planning to release at least three new iPhones next year, including a high-end model with a 5.5-inch-or-larger OLED display that is curved on both sides like Samsung's Galaxy S7 edge, according to Nikkei
- Ming Chi Kuo's research note this week outlined three new iPhone models are coming, including LCD-based 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models and a high-end OLED-based 5.8-inch model, as one possibility providing supply of AMOLED displays is sufficient.
Apple rolls out iOS 9.3.5 to beef up security [Update]
- iOS 9.3.5 fixes a serious vulnerability that allows our devices to be snooped on. Software created by Israeli company NSO Group took advantage of the hole to read text messages and emails, to record calls, and to steal contacts.
Tim Cook just unlocked a monstrous bonus
- Today marks Tim Cook’s five-year anniversary as the CEO of Apple, and as a reward for making it this long in the top spot he just unlocked a monster bonus. $100 million!
- Apple awarded Cook 980,000 Apple shares for his performance as part of the larger compensation package he signed in 2011. Based on Apple stock’s Tuesday closing price of $108.85, the shares are currently worth around 106.7 million.
- Despite the big pay day, Cook’s estimated wealth of $650 million is relatively modest by Silicon Valley standards, but he’s planning to donate most of it to charity anyway.
Apple could go head to head with Snapchat in 2017
- A new report from Bloomberg is claiming that Apple is in the process of developing its own Snapchat rival.
- The company, "seeking to capitalize on the popularity of social networks," will focus on video in the new app, letting users record a video, edit it, apply a filter, add doodles, and then send it out to friends.
- The app is being developed in the same Apple department that developed Final Cut Pro and iMovie software