This week: We got it, ALL the iPhone 13 details. We’ll tell you what to expect. Plus, the Apple Privacy debacle—is Apple scanning all your photos and the pictures you send in iMessages? The answer is yes... and no. We got the cold hard facts for you, and you may not like them.
Get 2-3 episodes of CultCast Off Topic each and every week for just $6! Off Topic is a new weekly variety show hosted by Erfon Elijah and friends, dedicated to tech, gaming, culture, and more. Join Cult Support, good friend!
This episode supported by
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your iPhone 12, Apple Watch, iPad, glasses and lenses sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CarryCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
Join us in the CultClub! discord.gg/BrKdnSK
On the show this week
@erfon / @lkahney / @lewiswallace
Mini-LED MacBook Pros launching before the end of September
- The long wait for redesigned 16-inch and 14-inch MacBook Pro models is probably nearing its end. A reliable source for Apple info says these Macs will be out in September at the latest, and will have mini-LED screens.
iPhone 13 could bring ProMotion display, camera upgrades, smaller notch
- This year’s iPhone refresh could be a lot more exciting than the incremental upgrades we’ve seen in previous years. A new report claims Apple’s next-generation smartphone lineup — which could be called iPhone 13 — will bring faster ProMotion displays, pro camera upgrades, and a smaller notch.
Apple plans to scan iPhones and iCloud for child abuse imagery [Updated]
- Apple plans to scan photos stored on peoples’ iPhones and in their iCloud accounts for imagery suggesting child abuse, according to news reports Thursday. The effort might aid in law-enforcement investigations, but also could invite controversial access to user data by government agencies.
Apple looks to ease CSAM photo scanning concerns with new FAQ
- Apple has published a new FAQ on its plan to scan user photos for child abuse imagery (CSAM) in an effort to combat the growing concerns.
iPhone Messages app will warn parents if kids send, receive nude photos
- Apple will soon offer a new tool to protect children from sexual predators. The Messages application will be able to detect if an iPhone or iPad user gets or sends sexually explicit photos.
Apple TV, HomePod combo on the way to combat weak living room strategy
- Apple TV engineers say “there isn’t much optimism” over the company’s weak living room hardware strategy, but there plans to change it with new devices, according to a new report from one reliable reporter.
Direct download: cultcast_505_8-12-21.mp3
-- posted at: 12:00am PDT