This week: everything you need to know about the new M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pros, including new details! Plus: our reactions to everything Apple “Unleashed”, and Tim Cook Sherlocks the CultCloth!
Get 2 episodes of CultCast Off Topic each and every week for just $6! Off Topic is a new weekly variety show hosted by Erfon Elijah and friends, dedicated to tech, gaming, culture, and more. Join Cult Support, good friend!
This episode supported by
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your iPhone 12, Apple Watch, iPad, glasses and lenses sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CarryCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
Join us in the CultClub! discord.gg/BrKdnSK
On the show this week
@erfon / @lkahney / @lewiswallace
MacBook Pro gets insane M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, gorgeous new design
- “We set out to create the world’s best pro notebook, and today we’re excited to introduce the all-new MacBook Pro with M1 Pro and M1 Max — a game-changing combination of phenomenal performance, unrivaled battery life, and groundbreaking features,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, in a press release after the event. “The all-new MacBook Pro adds a breathtaking XDR display, more ports like MagSafe 3, an advanced 1080p camera, and a sensational six-speaker sound system, all in a stunning new design. The new MacBook Pro simply has no equal and is by far the best pro notebook we’ve ever built.”
M1 Max chip could deliver even greater graphics than PlayStation 5
- MacBook Pro’s mind-blowing M1 Max chip could deliver even greater graphics than Sony’s newest PlayStation 5 console, according to early estimates. It has even more raw GPU power, at least on paper, with up to 32 graphics cores.
Early benchmarks show crazy performance gains for Apple M1 Max
- The M1 Max blows all the MacBook chips that came before it — not just those made by Intel, but even Apple’s own M1 — right out of the water, with up to 181% faster graphics than the previous 16-inch MacBook Pro.
New MacBook Pros Include Improved Thermal System That Apple Says You'll Rarely Need Thanks to Apple Silicon
- The new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros include entirely new designs and a new chassis, and one improvement of the newer chassis compared to its predecessor is improved thermals.
Some MacBook Pro wait times stretch nearly to Christmas
- Order the base model 14-inch MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage from Apple.com on Monday and it’ll arrive sometime between October 26 and November 2. That’s as quick as anyone can get the new notebook — the launch date is Oct. 26.
Apple Music gets a ‘Voice Plan’ that costs just $4.99 a month
Win an iPhone 13 case bundle from Smartish [Cult of Mac giveaway]
Upgraded AirPods gain spatial audio with Dolby Atmos and more
- Apple used part of its “Unleashed” event on Monday to announce a major refresh of it signature earbuds. The new third-generation AirPods feature spatial audio with Dolby Atmos and dynamic head tracking and come with a redesign that makes them look more like AirPods Pro (although without the silicone ear tips).
I got Sherlocked at Apple’s ‘Unleashed’ event!
Direct download: cultcast_515.mp3
-- posted at: 11:47pm PDT