This week: Imagine being able to easily swap out the battery on your iPhone or iPad - the EU is about to force Apple to do just that. Plus, cool new features coming to Vision Pro and the Photos app!
This episode supported by
Factor is America’s #1 Ready-To-Eat Meal Kit, and can help you fuel up fast with ready-to-eat meals delivered straight to your door. Head to factormeals.com/cultcast50 and use code cultcast50 to get 50% off your first box.
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your Mac Studio, Studio Display, iPhone 14, glasses and lenses sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CarryCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
This week's stories
EU forces removable batteries on iPhone and iPad
- The European Parliament passed sweeping legislation last week intended to make recycling batteries easier. The new rules will require Apple to redesign iPhone and iPad so their batteries can be replaced by users. (Android devices will face the same mandate.)
Devs can now start making apps for Apple Vision Pro AR headset
- Turning the Apple Vision Pro headset from an announcement into a shipping product took a big step forward Wednesday with the release of the visionOS SDK. This includes the software tools developers will use to write applications for the AR headset that Apple unveiled earlier this month.
Lewis: Win a 65W GaN travel charger you can plug in anywhere [Cult of Mac giveaway]
- The Ugreen 65W Nexode GaN Charger packs two USB-C ports along with one USB-A port, making it easy to charge multiple devices simultaneously. Plus, its switchable plugs make it effortless for use when traveling in the United States and Europe. It retails for just $55.99, but you could snag one for free in this week’s giveaway.
8 New Photo Features Coming to iPhone in iOS 17
- When viewing your photos, Apple has enhanced Visual Look Up in iOS 17 in a few ways, one being the ability to find recipes for similar dishes when meals are recognized in the picture.
iPhone media apps can play music on HomePod using Siri with iOS 17
- Apple will finally make playing music from third-party sources on your HomePod easier. Starting with iOS 17, you can ask Siri to play music on your HomePod from music apps installed on your iPhone.
MacBooks make up a whopping 77% of Mac
- If you own a Mac, it’s almost certainly a MacBook rather than a desktop. New data from a market research firm show that Apple’s notebooks made up the lion’s share of macOS sales over the last year.
Direct download: cultcast_600.mp3
-- posted at: 11:29pm PST