This week: a dubious rumor says Apple is making a portable gaming console, but... the puzzle pieces seem to add up. Apple's up to something. We discuss. Plus: the new M1 iMac is insanely powerful, and Prosser leaks more MacBooks!
Get 3 episodes of CultCast Off Topic each and every week for just $6! Off Topic is a new weekly variety show hosted by Erfon Elijah and friends, decidated to tech, gaming, culture, and more. Join Cult Support, good friend!
This episode supported by
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your iPhone 12, Apple Watch, iPad, glasses and lenses sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CarryCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
Join us in the CultClub! discord.gg/BrKdnSK
On the show this week
@erfon / @lkahney / @lewiswallace
Enter to win a high-end Qrono Apple Watch band from Juuk [Cult of Mac giveaway]
- This week, Cult of Mac is giving away two fantastic metal Apple Watch bands from Juuk, a high-end watch strap company. We’re giving away two aluminum Qruno straps in cosmic grey.
New MacBook Air renders look thin, flat and colorful
- Apple plans to release a surprisingly thin MacBook Air in the same colors as the current iMacs, according to leaker Jon Prosser.
High school student makes impressive 3D renders of big-time Mac leaks [Setups]
- It’s not every day you come across a high school student running a successful tech-based business – never mind one whose 3D renderings are routinely seen by thousands of people. But that’s the case with 17-year-old New Yorker Ian Zelbo and his RendersbyIan.
M1 iMac can’t match fastest Intel iMacs in early benchmarks
- People were hoping the M1 would supercharge the iMac, but the first benchmark scores for the upcoming 24-inch machine are out, and the all-in-one desktop is the same speed as the other M1 Macs released in 2020, but not faster. The previous-generation high-end 21.5-inch iMac earned a single-core Geekbench score of 1109, and a multi-core score of 6014.
2021 iPad Pro beats every Intel MacBook in early benchmark tests
- The first iPad Pro with an M-series processor is apparently going to be as fast as many had hoped. Benchmark tests for the upcoming tablet show that it’s almost as speedy as the Macs released in late 2020. And faster than any Intel-based MacBook ever.
Sketchy Rumor Claims Apple Developing Nintendo Switch-Style Gaming Console
- Apple is working on a Nintendo Switch-style handheld games console, according to a sketchy new rumor coming from Asia. According to a post on a Korean forum, shared by Twitter user @FrontTron, Apple is developing a portable hybrid games console, comparable to the Nintendo Switch. While the sourcing of the rumor is suspect, it has gained some visibility in larger news outlets over the past day or two, so we figured it was at least worth acknowledging.
Apple TV Is Missing the Moment
- “For next year, Apple is planning an upgraded box with a stronger gaming focus, an updated remote and a new processor.”
Apple said to be spending more than $500M on Arcade gaming subscription effort
- Apple’s new gaming subscription service Apple Arcade may have been a bit of a footnote at its Services event earlier this month compared to the stage time given to more prime time-ready efforts like Apple TV+ and Apple News+, but the company is throwing some major funding behind its effort to get people paying a monthly fee for exclusive titles.
Direct download: cultcast_492.mp3
-- posted at: 11:37pm PDT