This week: Apple’s about to bring two powerful new features to your beloved HomePods—they just keep making them better! Plus: the big problem with AirPods Max; a proposed law would force profound changes on Apple App Store; Applecare+ get some big changes; and we react to the new Foundation trailers, the Apple’s epic new sci-fi coming to AppleTV+.
Get 2-3 episodes of CultCast Off Topic each and every week for just $6! Off Topic is a new weekly variety show hosted by Erfon Elijah and friends, dedicated to tech, gaming, culture, and more. Join Cult Support, good friend!
This episode supported by
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your iPhone 12, Apple Watch, iPad, glasses and lenses sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CarryCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
Join us in the CultClub! discord.gg/BrKdnSK
On the show this week
@erfon / @lkahney / @lewiswallace
Netflix gets more immersive with Spatial Audio support
- Netflix has begun rolling out Spatial Audio support. This lets the streaming service offer a surround sound-like experience but without all the speakers. Currently, it requires AirPods Pro or AirPods Max but that’ll change soon.
HomePod beta brings Dolby Atmos and lossless music support
- Dolby Atmos (spatial audio) and lossless music are on their way to HomePod and HomePod mini. Both features are available for testing in Apple’s latest HomePod 15 beta, rolled out to registered developers on Thursday.
Proposed law would force profound changes on Apple App Store
- Apple currently puts up significant roadblocks to sideloading — installing applications onto an iPhone or iPad from a Mac. The Open App Markets Act would require Apple to allow sideloading.
Apple now offers annual AppleCare+ subscriptions for new Mac owners
- Apple recently updated its AppleCare+ for Mac price structure, allowing new owners to purchase the extended coverage as an annual subscription instead of a three-year up front commitment.
Apple now allows AppleCare+ for Mac to continue beyond three years
- In certain major territories, including the U.S., Apple will now let users keep AppleCare+ for Mac active beyond its original three-year limit.
‘Wool’: Tim Robbins Joins Rebecca Ferguson In Apple TV+ Series
- Wool is a set in a ruined and toxic future where a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them.
Apple TV+ presents trailer for eagerly anticipated series “Foundation,” set to premiere around the world on Friday, September 24, 2021
- Apple TV+ today released the trailer for “Foundation,” the highly anticipated epic saga based on Isaac Asimov’s timeless trilogy of the same name. Revealing a deeper look than ever before at the unprecedented adaptation, the trailer invites audiences across the galaxy to embark on a thrilling and emotional journey following a band of exiles who discover that the only way to save the Galactic Empire from destruction is to defy it.
Direct download: cultcast_506.mp3
-- posted at: 11:01pm PDT