This week: ahead of next week's Apple event, we've got last-minute details on iPhone 14 and the super secret Apple Watch Pro!
This episode supported by
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your Mac Studio, Studio Display, iPhone 13, glasses and lenses sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CarryCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
This week's stories
Expect Apple Watch Pro to sport 47mm display
- A critical detail has leaked about about Apple’s upcoming wearable designed for serious athletes. The new top-tier Apple Watch will have a 47mm screen, according to a new report coming out of Asia.
iPhone 14 Pro ultra-wide camera might surprise with its low-light performance
- Shocker! It seems Apple has significant camera upgrades planned for this year’s iPhones.
- Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes the iPhone 14 Pro will use a new ultra-wide sensor with larger 1.4µm pixels. That’s up from the current 12MP sensor featuring a 1.0µm pixel size. It is unclear if the ultra-wide camera will also see a resolution bump from 12MP.
iPhone 14 Pro screen cutouts might not look as expected [Updated]
- Leaks about the “pill and hole” design of the iPhone 14 Pro models started months ago, but Apple still might have a surprise up its sleeve. A new report indicates that software will merge the two display cutouts into one.
Apple and Globalstar Rumored to Announce Satellite Connectivity Feature for iPhone 14 at September 7 Event
- Apple may announce its long-rumored satellite connectivity feature for the iPhone 14 next month, according to Tim Farrar, a satellite communications consultant at California-based research firm Telecom, Media and Finance Associates.
iPhone 13 might offer emergency satellite communication, too
- While large swaths of the world have cellular coverage, there are still huge areas without it. That’s a problem for hikers, boaters and anyone traveling through the remote areas without cell service.
T-Mobile and SpaceX want to connect your iPhone to satellites to end network dead zones
- You won’t need an iPhone 14 or iPhone 15 for satellite connectivity. SpaceX and T-Mobile have announced their plan to bring cell connectivity everywhere in the US using satellites.
An AI-Generated Artwork Won First Place at a State Fair Fine Arts Competition, and Artists Are Pissed
- A man came in first at the Colorado State Fair’s fine art competition using an AI generated artwork on Monday. “I won first place,” a user going by Sincarnate said in a Discord post above photos of the AI-generated canvases hanging at the fair.
Direct download: cultcast_560.mp3
-- posted at: 10:35pm PST